Search Engine Optimization Intoduction
If you are seeking to master the skill of search engine optimization (SEO), you’re in the right place! If you’re here, im sure you’re aware of the endless possibilities of (SEO)!
What is SEO in marketing?
SEO is an acronym that stands for search engine optimization. When it comes to internet marketing, SEO refers to on-page optimization, off-site optimization and technical optimization.
The objective of optimizing the search engine involves positioning your content to appear on the first page on Google. More specifically, optimizing your content to appear on the top 3 results. However, you must achieve two major objectives; on page optimization and technical optimization.
Nonetheless, optimization the search engine requires more than a single set of skills. In other words, mastering these skills is a continuous process, meaning it’s subject to change. Therefore, you must have skills that resemble patience, adaptivity and algorithm awareness.
History of SEO
There’s no denying that search engines have changed the way most people live. The World Wide Web is a part of people’s everyday lives. In the past, people gathered research though libraries, books and word of mouth. People use the Web to shopping, entertainment, information and much more.
1991: World Wide Web is developed.
1997 – The term “Search Engine Optimization” was coined.
1998 – Google is launched.
2003 – Google launches (Blackhat) first algorithm update.
2006 – Myspace surpasses Yahoo to become the most visited site in U.S.A.
2009 – Google announces (Panda) update to clean out duplicate content.
Tim Berners Lee developed the world’s first web browser in 1991. However, content creators and developers did not begin optimizing websites until the mid-90’s. But the Web has constantly evolved over time according to the information above.
Fundamentals of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Before you can begin optimizing major search engines, you must understand what’s behind the scenes. Or what is the goal or algorithm? For beginners, the goal of most search engines is to provide users or searchers with worthwhile results.
Quality content that serves value to the user. Therefore, as a content creator, you must abide by the rules and regulations if you want your site to get indexed.
It’s important to understand in the past it was easy to rank well on search engines. And I must say, it’s much harder to rank nowadays. Nonetheless, you can still rank for competitive keywords, but it will take much longer.
For those who don’t know, search engine optimization is one of the most effective digital marketing strategies. It is a form of digital marketing that enables developers to receive organic traffic from search engines.
It’s important to aim to optimize one component at a time, beginning with technical optimization. For those who don’t know, Google is the largest search engine.
Once you’ve got your site to rank on the world’s largest search engine, you can go after other search engines like Yahoo, Baidu or Bing. Subsequently, your content will ultimately rank on all major search engines. Hence, your content pops up on the top results. Then, you start reaching more target leads and prospective customers. Ultimately your business starts booming.
On Page Optimization
On page optimization consists of optimizing components on a website to improve the quality and quantity of website traffic. Optimizing the content on your website is critical for search engine visibility.
Below are the basics of on page optimization:
- Captivating title, url and description – This refers to catchy titles, URLs and descriptions that are unforgettable. These are essential for getting readers to click through to your site.
- Socially sharable content – When was the last time you shared content with someone you know? Socially shareable content is material that serves value to viewers. However, this isn’t merely any regular content. This is specialized content that influences the audience to influencer peers!
- Constructive keyword optimization – Years ago, content creators were able to get away with keyword stuffing. Not anymore! You must have a constructive form of keyword optimization to rank well.
- Proper heading tag – Heading tags refer to the heading structure H1 – H6.
- Rich snippet – a snippet is a result that appears on Google’s SERP’s.
On page optimization is essential for sustainable success. Nonetheless, search engines are constantly evolving. In other words, they are getting better and better. Therefore, you must focus on long-term on page optimization tactics.
Tecnhical optimization is a process that involves optimizing technical elements of a site to improve url rankings among search engines. It involves technical elements of your website which include; bread crumbs, browser cache, internal links, mobile friendliness, structured data markup, website speed etc.
Below are the basics of technical optimization:
- Search engine crawl friendly – To begin, your site must be crawl friendly. In other words, spiders must have access to crawl through your site with no issues. Therefore, it’s essential to analyze elements like your page speed, robots.txt, meta tag etc. If you’re experiencing difficulties, Google’s lighthouse tool can help you identify errors within your site.
- Optimized schema markup – Schema markup refers to a tool that helps your website or blog rank well. It is a code that translates that data on your website to search engines. At the end of the day, optimization your schema markup enables search engines to provide users valuable results.
- Optimized image tags – If you don’t know, images are what brings a site to life. Psychologically, it gives the reader more reseason to stay on your site, which is important critical for the sales funnel. Statistics have shown that sales increase when visitors stay on your site. Most importantly, you must optimize image tags.
Above all else, the technical optimization process is essential for search engine visibility. It enables your content to get indexed. The process allows search engines to crawl your website error free. Efficiently optimizing the technicalities of your website can ultimately increase your site in search engine result page (SERPs).